"What Matters Most"
(Memo From Child to Parent)
- Don't spoil me. I know that I ought not to have all that I ask for
- I am only testing you.
- Don't be afraid to be firm and set rules and limits. It makes me feel secure.
- Don't protect me from consequences. Sometimes I need to learn the hard way.
- Don't let me form bad habits. I rely on you to detect them in the early stages and give me direction BY EXAMPLE.
- Don't make me feel smaller than I am. It only makes me behave badly to prove that I am "big".
- Don't correct me in front of people if you can help it. Praise in public. Chastise in private.
- Don't put me off when I ask questions. If you do, you will find that I will stop asking you and seek information elsewhere.
- Don't tell me that my fears are silly. They are real to me
and you can do much to reassure me if you try to understand.
- Don't be inconsistent.That confuses me and makes me lose faith in you.
- Don't EVER think that it is beneath your dignity to apologize to me. An honest apology makes me feel surprisingly warm toward you.
- Don't forget that I can't thrive without lots of love and affection. I need your quality time and your affection.
- Because "stuff happens", lets stick together. I believe in you.
I need and hope you believe in me too. - Author Unknown