Setting can be challenging for young athletes because they aren't as strong as players at the club and high school level.
In this video, Steve Willingham of Lakeville South High School in Minneapolis teaches the following progression for training young setters:
1. Player sits on the ground, holds the ball and shoot sets to a partner.
2. Player sits on the ground, tosses to herself and then shoot sets to a partner
3. Player stands on the 10-foot line and works on footwork.
4. Player stands on the 10-foot line and tosses the ball to herself and then sets it to the other side of the net to a player standing on the opposite 10-foot line.
5. Player stands on the 10-foot line and bounces the ball and then sets across the net off the bounce.