Hines Ward, former NFL Player (Super Bowl Champion & MVP)
- Just saying what you want to do - make it to the pros, go to college, etc - is different from going out and giving yourself an opportunity to do it.
- Being a competitor, Hines took great pride in doing schoolwork. When he missed an answer he took it as a challenge.
- There are people who you think are your friends but they might be holding you back. The hardest thing to do is sometimes to separate yourself from people telling you what you can't do.
Things to Think About
- What are some big goals you want to achieve in life? How are you helping give yourself an opportunity?
- What does it look/sound like when the people around you are holding you back? How do you react?
Ways to Practice
- Pick one way you're going to compete outside of your sport this week.
- Notice this week when people around you are encouraging or discouraging you. Can you still choose to do what's best for you?
P/ATH Sports, founded by Cassidy Lichtman, is a non-profit organization that believes that healing the divisions in our society in the long run depends on teaching young people new skills around empathy, equity and empowerment. P/ATH offers free content featuring some of the most successful athletes and coaches across sports using their experience to teach lessons around how to build mindset skills, develop great team culture, break out of the boxes we get put in and how the most valuable life lessons we learn in sports can transfer off the court or field.