Terry Liskevych reviews "Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance" by Angela Duckworth, the Founder and CEO of Character Lab, a nonprofit whose mission is to advance the science and practice of character development in children. Duckworth shows that what really drives success is not “genius” but a unique combination of passion and long-term perseverance. "Grit" takes readers into the field to visit cadets struggling through their first days at West Point, teachers working in some of the toughest schools, and young finalists in the National Spelling Bee.
Grit offers valuable insight into a range of topics that can be used with your team:
- Why any effort you make ultimately counts twice toward your goal
- How grit can be learned, regardless of I.Q. or circumstances
- How lifelong interest is triggered
- Which is better for your child—a warm embrace or high standards
- The magic of the Hard Thing Rule