Whether your training a single athlete or sharing skills with the whole team, help members absorb the new information by asking them how they prefer to learn. Have them rank these 7 learning methods:
- Attempt it myself, then receive immediate feedback.
- Give me exercises or drills to practice on my own.
- Show me film of myself and others performing.
- Tell me about it verbally.
- Give me an overview in writing.
- Observe someone else in practice and model them.
- Talk about it with other players.
Once you know each student athlete’s preferred training styles, you can adapt your practice approach to maximize learning for each.