Jessica Mendoza, ESPN Commentator (Olympic Gold Medalist, USA Softball)
- When you pick apart someone else and try to find all the things that are wrong you might miss out on the beauty of what makes them great.
- It's ok to be different. You don't need to fit into some kind of box.
- Own what makes you unique and sets you apart.
- There is more doubt and insecurity when you're trying to be someone you're not because at the end of the day you know you're faking it.
Things to Think About
- What is something that makes you different? Do you own it?
- Can you think of a time when you or others have picked someone else apart? How do you feel looking back on that?
Ways to Practice
- Get a partner and tell each other one thing that makes you unique. Listen to your partner without judgment.
- Pick one thing that you are passionate about that you decide to own this week. What does that look like for you?
P/ATH Sports, founded by Cassidy Lichtman, is a non-profit organization that believes that healing the divisions in our society in the long run depends on teaching young people new skills around empathy, equity and empowerment. P/ATH offers free content featuring some of the most successful athletes and coaches across sports using their experience to teach lessons around how to build mindset skills, develop great team culture, break out of the boxes we get put in and how the most valuable life lessons we learn in sports can transfer off the court or field.