Nicky Nieves, USA Volleyball Sitting National Team (Paralympic Gold Medalist)
- As you find community in different areas of your life it can help you feel seen.
- It helps to find others who have gone through similar journeys or faced similar struggles so you can see how they tackle challenges.
- Keep fighting to build your world and adding things that make your life better, even if you haven't found the people who will understand it yet.
Things to Think About
- What are some areas of your life in which you've found community? Areas in which you haven't yet?
- Through whatever challenges you face, how are you "getting it done anyway"?
- What does it mean to you when Nicky says to "keep fighting to build your world"?
Ways to Practice
- Make a list of the different communities you're part of. Also note areas in which you have not yet found community.
- Consider an obstacle you've faced and where/how you might find others who have gone through the same struggle.
Watch more content from Nicky Nieves on P/ATH Sports: Confidence through repetition
P/ATH Sports, founded by Cassidy Lichtman, is a non-profit organization that believes that healing the divisions in our society in the long run depends on teaching young people new skills around empathy, equity and empowerment. P/ATH offers free content featuring some of the most successful athletes and coaches across sports using their experience to teach lessons around how to build mindset skills, develop great team culture, break out of the boxes we get put in and how the most valuable life lessons we learn in sports can transfer off the court or field.