Aleshia Ocasio, Professional Softball Player (Athletes Unlimited; Puerto Rican National Team)
- Learning how to fail and be consistent in your emotions is critical to learning how to succeed.
- You can build confidence knowing that you put the work in at home and prepared.
- There's no reason to assume you will fail. Why not go into it being confident?
- Aleshia's tip: Keep a planner. She gains confidence daily from just being disciplined in the things she sets out for the day.
Things to Think About
- What goes through your mind when you're going through a "slump" or struggling in your sport?
- How can putting in the work in practice help you be more confident on game day?
- What is the equivalent to that in your life outside of your sport?
Ways to Practice
- Write down some of the reasons why you should have confidence in yourself as an athlete. Use that as a reminder when you're struggling.
- Pick one thing that gives you confidence outside your sport, like setting goals for the day, and do it consistently this week
Watch more content from Aleshia Ocasio on P/ATH Sports: To the allies
P/ATH Sports, founded by Cassidy Lichtman, is a non-profit organization that believes that healing the divisions in our society in the long run depends on teaching young people new skills around empathy, equity and empowerment. P/ATH offers free content featuring some of the most successful athletes and coaches across sports using their experience to teach lessons around how to build mindset skills, develop great team culture, break out of the boxes we get put in and how the most valuable life lessons we learn in sports can transfer off the court or field.