In this video, Bishop’s High School coach Tod Mattox uses a chair to work on setting with a talented young player, Abby Macalaguim.
Mattox covers specific hand-positioning, from contact to follow-through. He also has Abby do reps while sitting, first catching the ball and firing it back at him, then setting it to him.
This is a great way to help a setter develop proper hand technique, a strong release and good upper body posture.
Instead of a chair, you can have the player sit on a coaching box to do this drill. Below, check out a few other ways you can use chairs and coaching boxes in your gym!
- John Dunning's 3 box drill for adjustable training
- Box jump hitting drill from Joe Sagula (Premium)
- Passing on a chair: Training to handle the deep ball
- The 12-chair serving challenge (Premium)
- Coach on a box drills from Doug Reimer (Premium)