A good team plays “in system” about 60% of the time. The other 40%, they’re scrambling for the ball.
For these “out-of-system” situations, Utah coach Beth Launiere instructs her hitters to use a “hold and go” strategy on the attack. Players delay their approach, then accelerate with a big plant step that positions them where the ball will land.
Watch as she demonstrates a series of drills designed to teach players how to effectively attack when playing “out-of-system.”