Purpose: To warm up players and increase ball control skills
How it works: Players partner up and each pair should have a ball. One player lines up on the 10-foot line with their back to the net (Player 1) while the other player is a few steps up from the end line (Player 2). Players run through X ball control sequences:
- Player 1 tosses to themselves and hits at Player 2. Player 2 digs the ball back to Player 1 who catches the ball before retossing.
- Player 1 tosses to themselves and hits at Player 2. Player 2 digs the ball back to Player 1 who again hits the ball back to Player 2 without catching the ball.
- Regular 2-person pepper: dig-set-hit.
- 2-person pepper where the player who is hitting the ball is jumping when attacking.
- 2-person pepper where every dig is overhand - this requires the hitter to hit the ball with a flatter trajectory.
- Player 1 digs to themselves, sets themselves then hits at Player 2 who repeats the sequence.
Coaches should switch players positions so that players are able to play both positions and have a different orientation on the court.
Variations: Coaches can set rep counts ("10 perfect contacts in a row") or time amounts ("15 second with no errors") to challenge players and hold them accountable
Requirements: Two or more players, a coach, and a full court